Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fireworks, Class, and Little Adventures

Sorry for boring titles. I'm bad at being creative >> Anyway, on to the blogging!! yay!.....

Hanabi Taikai!
  • On Saturday we went to Ogino (a supermarket here in Tsuru) to buy our Yukatas :3 They were real cheap! And they come with everything. I've never bought a Yukata before so this is the first time. I really love my Yukata ^^ I might get another one before I leave XD haha
  • Eri, one of the tutors, came by the next day to help us put on the Yukatas. It's a complicated process. Also, it has to be fitted tightly so it doesn't fall apart. It was kinda hard to breathe lol
  • Also, the Yukatas generally come in the same size (except there's separate sizes for children), but there's away so it can fit you. I'm the shortest of all the EAPers and I'm sure we all got the same size. My fitted just fine thanks to the expertize of Eri-chan ^o^
  • On Sunday (two days ago) we went to a Hanabi Taikai! It's basically a fireworks festival :3
  • We took the train there which actually took longer than I thought. Me and another EAPer were lucky cause we got to sit down on the way there.
  • Once we reach one town the train became so packed! I was scared that the others would get off and we wouldn't know XD
  • It turns out that majority of people who got on the train were also heading to the hanabi taikai so no problem there!
  • It was a bit of a walk to the place from the train station. It really wasn't that bad.
  • When we got there we decided how to split up  because going in a big group would be too much trouble. 
  • My group ended up with people who've never been there before lol so we got a little lost. It didn't help that most of us were hungry, too XD lol
  • One of the tutors kindly went out on his own to find food for us. やさしいね。It was mainly chicken, yakitori, and dango! おいしかった!
  • We then headed out to find a place to watch the fireworks. We found most of the others so we watched it with them.
  • The fireworks were really pretty. The show was really long, too. Longer than any I've seen in America. Just when you think it was over they'd fire more lol I did get tired after awhile, though, but overall it was fun ^o^
  • The walk back to the station felt longer because I was super tired. Did I mention that I stood up the entire time? My knees felt stiff and my feet starting hurting, but I sucked it up XP
  • Of course the train ride would be packed since most people were going back at the same time. Once again I was afraid I'd lose the others. It's not fun getting lost x.x
  • I ended up standing up in the train this time. The whole entire time I stood up. It was painful, but it was ok. 
  • I got to talk with a few of the tutors on the train. I mainly talked to Dai-chan who's actually an exchange student from Korea. He kept wanting me to translate what he says into English haha He wanted to practice his English. I also learned what type of music he likes and who his favorite author is. He's a fun guy.
  • When we finally got off the train we headed back to our apartments. After taking a shower I went to bed XP The next day is when our classes start.


Start of ILP (Intensive Language Program)
  • Monday is the start of our language classes. Last Friday we took a placement test which would determine our level.
  • I think I was placed into the more advanced class since the sensei told us in our class things will be faster compared to the other one.
  • Classes follow a certain schedule that's usually Kanji -> intermediate japanese -> Conversation/Composition.
  • I think I'm the least capable in my class x.X I can read and write Japanese fairly well, but when it comes to listening and talking I fail so hard. Whenever the sensei asks me a question I often don't know how to answer because I can't understand everything he says. He talks pretty fast so my mind can't process the words as fast...
  • I wish my hearing would be better D:
  • The next day (today actually) we had another teacher. She talked slower than the other which I liked. She's quieter, but  I liked that she talked slower XD lol
  • Today we have homework. Just Kanji nothing, too hard. 
  • From now on I'm gonna be nervous about going to class because of my poor listening and speaking skills :( -sigh- also have a speech thing we have to do soon.... ugh, why is it required? D: Can I just watch the others do it ><
Other Adventures
  • Me and another EAPer went to a supermarket that she claims to be cheaper than the one we've been going to. I can't really say if it is yet. It is a bit far, though ><
  • We went there to buy a thank you gift for one of the tutors who's always done really nice things (he paid for us for karaoke, bought food and drinks at the hanabi taikai, and also drove us to Softbank). We bought him a Japanese snack thing and Oolong tea. I also bought myself a bento there since the cafeteria is closed for the remainder of the summer :(
  • Later that day one of the tutors (the one I mentioned in the point before this) took me and two other EAPers to Softbank. Softbank is a phone company in Japan.
  • The nearest Softbank was actually pretty far. I got to see more of Tsuru, though. I honestly didn't think it was a big city until now.
  • It actually took a really long time to do the application. There was 3 of us, but it took more than an hour to do all three. But in the end we were able to get our phones after so many failed attempts of applying online! :D I won't feel like a lost puppy now XD lol
  • The phone is so complicated! It took me so many tries to figure things out XD Good thing there's an English option on it! It just sucks that I can't type in Japanese while my phone is in English (unless there's an option to do it and I just don't know how to activate it o.o)

1 comment:

  1. haha Sounds really busy, but a lot of fun. You should see if there's a translate function on your phone if you haven't already. My 3-day host family constantly used that when trying to communicate with me. :P

    ReplyDelete