Monday, December 3, 2012

What I'll miss about Japan

The program is coming to a close. Time sure did go by fast :( but during the 4-5 months I've been here I've had a lot of great experiences. There are several things in Japan that just amazes me and makes me happy. I've compiled a list of things I'll miss about Japan (no particular order)

  • Delivery System! Japan's domestic delivery system is just simply amazing! At least in comparison to back home. I've bough several things online so I've experienced it a lot. Usually after the item ships the package arrives within 24 hours! For example, I've bought from Book Off Online several times and I usually get an email saying it shipped around 5pm one day and then on the next the package arrives before 11am! And that's with standard shipping. Also, this doesn't apply every single time, but there are times when you can choose the delivery date/time. This only happened to me when I bought from Amazon Japan, though, but I'm sure it's available on other sites as well. This is extremely efficient! Not done yet! Usually, they don't just leave your package if you're not home. What they'll do is leave a note saying that they came, but no one was home. What you do is call the number they provided and you tell them you're home and they'll come and give you your package. I've had to do this once and the guy came within 15 minutes! Definitely better than America's system, in my humble opinion. (Sorry, this point kinda got too long lol)
  •  The food! Yeah, I would put food on the list lol but back home I don't live around very many Japanese restaurants (or very good ones anyway) or stores that sell Japanese ingredients so it's not common for me to eat Japanese food. Oh man, I'm just going to splurge on food until I leave (>.<)
  • Speaking/Listening to Japanese everyday. Although, I can listen to Japanese everyday back home by listening to music, watching anime/dramas, etc. it's not the same as listening to people speak it naturally. Back in the US, I have very few friends who I speak Japanese with and most of them either graduated or is still going to be studying in Japan. I think speaking will be the hardest for me to maintain because the lack of conversation partners =/ I'm gonna have to figure out how to fix that...
  • Coin Toy Machines. They're everywhere! Almost like vending machines, but not as common. Now, why would I miss these when there's coin toy machines in the US? Well, that's cause of what they put in the toy machines here. Being Japan, they have a variety of stuff and they're quality! (well they're also pretty expensive). Also, because it's Japan you'll see a lot of Anime/Manga related stuff. There's also a bunch of other stuff like animals (cats, dogs, etc). I've bought from these machines several times actually XP 200円 isn't so bad lol Most of the stuff you get are keychains (or rather phone charms that you attach to your phone). 
  • Riding the trains. Trains are the most useful things here. It only sucks when you're on a crowded train you have to stand up during the entire time. Other than that though the train system is great. It's on time all the time (except when there's an accident or the weather makes it hard for the train to function safely/properly).
  • Japanese Restaurants. This point isn't about the food (though, the food is delicious!), but more about the actual restaurants themselves. I love the set up the restaurants (talking about the Japanese-style ones not the Western-style ones). All the Ramen restaurants I've been to were usually small and usually didn't have tables, but instead you sit on counters facing the chef. I also like going to restaurants where you sit on the floor instead of chairs. Something interesting I discovered, at several restaurants I've been to in Tsuru they have manga that you can read. I think it's because a lot of people who work go to the restaurants for lunch and so sometimes they'd read the manga while they eat to relax (or something like that).
That's all for now because I just saw something that'll distract me on TV lol

No comments:

Post a Comment