Monday, December 10, 2012

Last day of Elementary School Internship + Thoughts

Friday was the last day of the Elementary School Internship. The day started out as usual where I helped the teacher teach the kids English. We taught them how to tell time. The kids were really competitive with this one lol They had to ask me "What time is it?" then I would say the time. They kept saying the answer in Japanese to each other and they kept yelling out the answer. So energetic XD haha We then learned animals in English. First I held up cards with animals on them and would say the name out loud while they repeated. Then we played karuta (a Japanese card game). They seemed to really like that game despite some of the kids were accusing each other for cheating. It was pretty XP but don't worry no injuries happened!

Since it was the last day I ate lunch with the class. The way they do lunch is different from how I did lunch when I was in Elementary school. They moved their desks into a circle then they set tables in the center. They then get tubs of food which are made at a different facility and put them on the center tables. Then the kids serve each other. I believe they take turns being the server. The food we ate was ok. I had some bread with jam, a piece of ika covered in curry stuff, some milk soup thing, and salad. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. The kids were still hyper like they were in regular class time. Some of the kids kept asking me questions about America. Some of which I couldn't answer haha Oh, before lunch each one of the kids gave me a letter thanking me for teaching them English and each one made origami for me <3 They are so sweet. After lunch I had to leave. Some of the kids ran up to me and hugged me. Then a lot of them led me back to the principal's office where I usually go after the internship. They just kept holding my hand and slowly taking me their. When I went inside they kept saying "bye bye Rhena-sensei!" and for about 5 minutes they did this lol they kept closing the door then opening it again while saying the same thing. Oh gosh they are so cute! I miss them so much (T.T) They're a great group of kids! As we walked out of the school one of my students was watering the plants outside so I said bye to her. A lot of kids (most of them were the students of the other interns) came out and waved by to us. We got into the car and as we were pulling out I looked out the window and saw that my class had came out of their balcony and I heard one of my students yell "レイナ先生、待って!" (Rhena-sensei, wait!). I almost cried (T.T)

Reflection/Thoughts
I am so glad I decided to do this Internship. It was a great experience and it just made me so happy. At first it was awkward and sometimes I had trouble communicating with the kids in Japanese but overall it was fun! I had a great time teaching the kids English. My students were super hyper and sometimes I got annoyed, but in the end they're just kids. I love my kids so much. I love it when they smile at me when I teach them and when I play with them.  They reminded me why I love kids so much and why I want to be a teacher of some kind in the future. They are just a bundle of happiness! I hope they'll grow up to be great adults. I will never forget about them. I'll always remember them no matter what. They are a great group of kids and I'm happy that I was put in their class. To anyone who's going to Tsuru for study abroad I recommend doing this Internship! Especially if you love kids and want to teach in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment