Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ghibli Museum!!!!



A few weeks ago I went to the Ghibli Museum!!! One of the most magical days of my life! For those who don't know what the Ghibli Museum is it's a museum that showcases various things from the works of Ghibli Studio. Miyazaki Hayao is the head honcho and is famous for creating most of Ghibli's works such as Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, etc. Unfortunately, photos are forbidden within the museum so I don't have much pictures to show. They believe that you must experience the museum with your own eyes and senses rather than through pictures. It's more fun admiring the place rather than taking pictures anyway ^_^

The museum is small. Smaller than I had anticipated, but still filled with so many awesome stuff. The place was super packed, too! I think it's like these all the time. (TIP: if you plan on going to the museum you must buy tickets ahead of time! I advise that you reserve a day/time at least a month in advise, 2 if you really want a specific date).

The museum is split in different sections. There's a room filled with these things. I don't even know what to call them really. They're like stop-motion things. These things would move in such a high speed it looks like you're watching an animation. It's really hard to describe. If you go there you'll see what I mean. That was my favorite part of the whole museum! There was also this cute little clip that showcases Evolution. There was a Cat Bus playground area where only little kids could play in (though I was tempted). There were also these rooms filled with original art and concept art drawn by Miyazaki himself. That was also my favorite. Just looking at his amazing art and seeing how movies were formed was awesome. I wanted to take them home >.<

Each visitor is given a ticket that they use to watch a 15-minute short which are exclusively shown at the museum. You can't watch it anywhere else. When I went in they showed a clip of this egg being that came to life with the help of an evil witch in order to be her servant. The egg makes friends with a dough of bread (yeah, sounds weird, but it's a Ghibli short :P) and they run away to get away from the witch. I won't spoil you there. You'll have to go to the museum to see it! That is if you end up watching that one. They have others, too. There was also a gift shop. Man was it super crowded! It was hard just maneuvering through the place. It was super small, too. There was so many awesome stuff in there. The stuff was pretty expensive, though... but that didn't stop me from buying a few things. I just had to control myself lol

The last spot that I checked out was the roof. That's where the infamous statue of the laputa robot from Castle in the Sky was. Unfortunately, it was already dark by the time I got up there (I would have gone earlier, but I had a hard time figuring out how to get there and got side-tracked). It was also raining a little that day. But that didn't stop me and my friend from taking a picture. We tried our best to get the robot in, but because it was dark we didn't get very good lighting. It was unfortunate, but we managed somehow ^_^

That's all I can write about the museum. I would write more, but it's simply difficult to find the right words for it. I'm a huge Miyazaki fan so this place was almost like heaven for me. I'll never forget the adventure I had here and maybe in the future if I ever go to Japan again I wouldn't mind going back! Maybe I'll get a chance to watch another short ;D But yeah the Ghibli Museum is simply amazing! If you ever go to Japan and especially if you're a fan of any of the movies I recommend that you go here. It's only 1000円! (About $12-13). It's definitely worth it! Even if you haven't seen the movies I still suggest you check it out. It's a very beautiful place filled with awesome art. When you're in Japan don't miss this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment