Wednesday, October 31, 2012

First Day of Elementary School Internship

I'm going to skip a few things and go straight into what happened last friday (Oct. 26) since it was such a great day I wanted to write about it before I forget anything. First I will write about the internship! (The next one will be about the Halloween Party).

The Internship
First, let me explain what the internship is. The internship is part of the program, but only 6 people were allowed to participate out of the 14 of us. The reason? Because only 6 people can fit in the car that takes us to the school XP Yeah, pretty lame reason, but what can you do? lol anyway the internship is basically where you help elementary school teachers teach English to the class. We got split into different class levels. One person for 1st grade, 1 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 2 for 4th (are you following along?). I was put into a 2nd grade class. To be honest, I thought they'd be a lot more calmer, but was I wrong! I've forgotten what it was like to be in 2nd grade lol or maybe these kids are just loud and full of energetic.

When we arrived at the school we talked with (I think) the principal for a couple of minutes before we were taken to a room where kids were sitting lined up on the ground. We had to introduce ourselves to the kids then we split off into our respective classrooms. When I entered the room and the kids flocked inside they all can't help but notice my height. They kept saying how short I was and kept asking me why lol I honestly didn't mind it cause I pretty much expected them to say stuff like that. Haha, they sure are full of energy! It's kinda scary XD The teacher put me at a desk at the very front of the classroom facing the class. I had to write my name on a nametag and the kids who could see kept awing and ooing while I wrote my name in English hahaha

The first thing of course was me introducing myself. I had to do it in Japanese then in English. While I was speaking English some of the kids kept saying "Eh? I don't understand!" (In Japanese of course). You would think it's rather rude, but I didn't care cause they're kids :P meh, I honestly feel like most of the kids didn't care about learning English. So young, haha. After introducing myself we pretty much spent the rest of the time singing along to two songs. One was a song about saying Hello and saying how are you. Then we did a number song (that only went up to 7 haha). The teacher took out these color magnets and she placed a few on the numbers. If a number had a red magnet the kids had to clap their hands instead of say the number. If it had blue they had to jump. It was quite tiring actually XD lol after that we did Head and Shoulders. A lot of the kids got confused on the "eyes and ears and mouth and nose" party lol They kept watching me during that part XD

After that was the end. Literally haha. After dancing we returned to our seat the teacher said that it was time for me to go. One of the kids wanted to keep talking to me. She seems to be the most energetic (without an obnoxious attitude like the boys had :P). Overall, the internship was really fun! I dunno if I can really handle these type of kids though XP They're too energetic and most of the time they don't listen. Kids will be kids I guess :P

No comments:

Post a Comment