Saturday, September 1, 2012

Two Days of Matsuri Participation!

(No photos because I was busy participating so I didn't get a chance to take pictures )= Might take some photos that other people took XD)

So these past two days there was a Matsuri in Tsuru-shi. The name of the matsuri has escaped my head x( sorry! I'll probably remember later.

Yesterday, we (exchange students) participated in an even where people pull a Dashi (Japanese traditional float). It takes a lot of man power to move those things.They're huge and heavy! Plus there are people on it playing traditional instruments. It was us (minus the boys) and several of the locals who pulled one of the dashi. The boys helped move another one. We pulled the Dashi using a large rope attached to the front. Several guys surrounded the Dashi. The ones in the back helped push while the ones on the side help to make it doesn't crash on the side of the road or into one of the buildings. Even though the wheels were fixed the Dashi still tended to drift to the side. Usually when that happens the guys on the side will try to push while we pullers had to go the opposite side (if the Dash was going left we would go right) and pull to help it from crashing. It's a lot harder than it sounds! We got the easy part. The guys who had to push had the hardest part. It was tough pulling, though. On ours the pullers were mainly girls. The people on the Dashi played music while we pulled which was pretty awesome. I actually like listening to stuff like that.

About half way through pulling I had to go pee really bad. You know that horrible feeling when you have to pee, but you can't really? Like when you're on a long drive and the nearest restroom is miles away? Yeah, that's how I felt. It started to get worst. Eventually, we took a little break and me and a friend asked one of the people in charge where the bathroom is. It's not easy finding public bathrooms here. We ended up borrowing someone's bathroom. It was a shop, though, not someone's private home so that was a little better. We of course thank them for letting us use it. When we came back out our Dashi had already left. The guys saw us and called us slackers lol We had to make our way down the road to our Dashi. It was another couple minutes of pulling until we reached the road where all four Dashi faced each other. We were there for about 45 minutes. Each Dashi had it's instrument players play music for about 10-15 minutes each. My feet were in pain at this point. There wasn't many places to sit =/ You notice certain things that a place lacks when you really need them but can't find them XD

After the performances we had to pull the Dashi again. Our Dashi took a couple of minutes before we reached another place. It was just us this time and we stopped next to a shop. In the shop they had set up food for us. Made me so happy x3 All of us EAPers sat together. The food that was laid out included fried squid, fried chicken, fried shrimp, sushi, onigiri, potatoe/meet soup, miso soup, yakitori, bbq fish, and some others. THERE WAS A LOT OF DELICIOUS FOOD. I love it when I eat meals like this x3 makes me so happy! I absolutely love Japanese food ^_^

While we were eating one of the guys in charge went around the tables and had people introduce themselves through a speaker phone. All of us at the table weren't happy about that lol But we eventually introduced ourselves. We just said our names and how we were Exchange Students from California.

Later we were told to go outside to participate in dancing. It's nothing fancy more like a fun thing to do. We followed a lady who danced to various songs. We were doing Bon Odori dances. There are various types. I had the hardest time at the beginning because it's hard for me to mimic someone right on the spot. Eventually, I was able to get the moves right. Not 100% but close. It was really fun! I think a lot of the locals were amused at watching us foreigners dance haha After wards several of the others decided to go to Gibson while the rest of us headed home.

The next day we left our apartments early and headed to where we had to get ready for the parade. All of us exchange students participated in the parade which at first seemed like a neat idea. I mean, when are you going to get a chance again to participate in an event that's not your country? I thought it would be fun until we arrived at the place where we had to get ready. What turned me completely off was the fact that I had to wear makeup... Let's just clarify that I absolutely hate wearing makeup. I've never worn makeup, at least not full on. I've put on lipstick before when I was young but that's it. I didn't put anything else on. It was too late, though, I couldn't back down from the parade.

After putting on the makeup we got our outfits put on. I'm not exactly sure what the outfit I wore is called. It's not a Kimono and not a Yukata. Kind of in between maybe? Oh yeah, I was a Chamber Maid. All the chamber maids were exchange students. The outfit we had to wear was blue on top and red on the bottom. We also had to wear a large, black, and circular hat. When the ladies put the outfit on me it felt really awkward. The obi that was tied around my waist was really tight and at an awkward spot.

After we finished getting ready we headed downstairs. I forgot to mention that it was raining outside. We were told how lucky we were because it's usually scorching hot. It's probably due to the tsunami that it was raining today.  We lined up (we were towards the end) and started walking. The rain stopped after 30 minutes, though.We had to smile, but it was kind a hard because my feet started to ache and I couldn't take my mind off the pain. I got a bit angry ever time we stopped which we did a lot. Japanese people really do like to take pictures. The group in front of us were princesses and their outfits were really intricate. A lot of people wanted to take a picture with the head princess. She wasn't always the reason why we stopped. People probably wanted to take pictures of the people way ahead of us. Every time we stopped people on the side would crowd near the head princess and take a picture of her. I don't think people really cared about us honestly. They were probably just amused at the fact that foreigners were dressed as chamber maids =P I didn't really care though. All I could think about is getting home or at least sit down because my feet were seriously in pain.

About an hour or so we took a break. After the short break we walked again. We stopped after 15minutes and rested at the city museum. After that we headed to our final destination, the elementary school. It started raining again except this time it was harder. We were lucky we had those hats, but they didn't protect us completely. My sleeves were drenched in rain water. We were given towels, but honestly they weren't of much help.

We eventually reached the school. We had to stand in line for about 15 minutes while we waited for some guy to make his speech. I hate to say this, but I didn't really care what he said (I only understand bits anyway). All I cared about was sitting down because the pain in my feet were getting worst. When he finally stopped talking we were free to go. Well, we all headed to the gym where we changed back into our regular clothes.

After changing we headed to the yateis (food stands) close to the school. I thought we were going to eat at a restaurant but I guess they changed their minds. I was a bit disappointed because I really wanted to just sit down and eat, but walking around the food stands was AMAZING. So many good food!!!! Super expensive, though =( I ended up buying a Yaki squid, yakitori, and a choco banana crepe. In total that cost me about 1250円 That is super expensive ($15  maybe?) and I'm still hungry.... But it was definitely worth the experience!

After walking a few us decided to head back. It took me longer because my feet started to get to the point where it was starting to go numb. I probably won't go in detail  about that xP

Being able to participate in the Matsuri was awesome! That's why I love that I chose this program. We get to participate and do so many things where we're involved in the community. Although, the result of the participation also included having painful feet pain, I still had a good time. I hope we do more stuff like this =)

No comments:

Post a Comment