Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mini Tokyo Trip (2)

Meiji Jingu Temple
After Sushi we went to the Meiji Jingu Temple. At the entrance you were greeted by a really big torii (Japanese temple gate). I had a picture of it, but apparently some of the pictures taken there had mysteriously vanished :( Once we passed the gate we walked several minutes on a large path that were surrounded by trees. It was really beautiful and especially nice because it was a nice day that day. Seeing light pass through the trees felt very majestic-like. We walked by an area that had a small path. We decided to check it out. We had to pay ¥500 to get in. Though, it was expensive, it was worth the trip. Once we paid we walked along the path. We soon reached a large open area with round bushes and a river. We didn't stick around there for very long. We continued on our way and saw small rice fields. We then reached the end where we found out why we had to pay. There was a long line of people. I was curious to know what was at the end then I was told there was a sacred well. People took pictures of it then would pray. The well was really small. It looked like a large wooden bucket planted into the water, to be honest. After that we left that area and continued on our way to the main temple. When we got there we saw some people lined up and dressed very traditionally. We soon learned that there actually was a wedding ceremony going on. I seriously felt bad for them because there were a bunch of people (mainly gaijin/foreigners) taking pictures of them. I took a picture, too, I admit >< I bet some people thought it was an act or something. The temple was really awesome. Just like the movies, but even better! Before we left I did one of those luck things where you shake a rectangular box and then pull out a stick. Whatever number's on there you tell the person and they give you a paper that tells fortune (or something...). I kinda forget what mine said (I still have it I just can't translate it...). But I remember it had something to do with a queen or something which was awesome because my name actually means queen in spanish lol After that we headed out of the temple and to our next destination.


Short McDonald's Break
After the temple we went to a nearby McDonalds because some of us were thirsty and we just wanted to take a break. When we got a drink we sat down, which wasn't easy by the way. There were a bunch of people at the restaurant. We eventually found a place to sit on the next floor above. We sat down and chatted. I chatted with my friend's girlfriend, which was really nice. We spoke in Japanese since my friend said I should practice my Japanese and what better way than with a native? I was nervous at first, but he told me I shouldn't since I'm in Japan now and I shouldn't waste my time not practicing Japanese. I sucked it up and talked in Japanese. I'm sure I stumbled and said a few incorrect things, but it was alright. I got to learn more about my friend's girlfriend and we shared some laughs and interesting stories :) It's really fun and satisfying being able to speak Japanese to a native without feeling embarassed or shy ^_^

Shibuya/Harujuku Walk
After McDonald's my friend's girlfriend took us to a place that I completely forgot the name of. It's basic a really big alley way with a bunch of small stores (mainly clothing stores). We just walked down it without stopping at any of the shops. We then went to Shibuya 109 (or was it 109 Shibuya?) which is a really big clothing store that mainly sells gyaru-style clothes. My friend and his girlfriend left before we went into the building. So me and the other EAPer just looked around. We soon left and went back to that one place we were at before. We looked inside the stores and looked at the clothes. I ended up buying a shirt that said 満足貧乏 (Poor, but satisfied) lol

On the way back to Tsuru
I parted ways with my fellow EAPer (she stayed another night) and headed back to Tsuru. I took the train back and as it would I ended up going the opposite direction I was supposed to x.x Thankfully, as long as you don't go past the ticket gates you can change trains. I went on the right train this time. Took about 2 hours until I finally got back to Tsuru. When I reached Tsuru I adjusted my ticket fare (since I got the wrong ticket) and walked home.

The end of my Tokyo trip =)


No comments:

Post a Comment