Sunday, July 29, 2012

Japan Day 1 and 2

So much has happened these past few days. Many of which were bad >> Since so much has happened I'm gonna bullet point these past 2 days. Extra details may be given.

Day 1
  • Got off at Narita Airport
  • Found out that money exchange only accepts cash and traveler's checks
    • Did not know this so I came in with only $150 in my pocket.
  • Had trouble with withdrawing money from the ATM machines. My bank told me to try the next day, which basically screwed me over for awhile. (don't ask what happened...)
  • Got stuck in Shinjuku for 4 hours because I was afraid of getting lost so I stayed in one area. Went there to meet my friend and his girlfriend, but noob me didn't know there was different exits and so I ended up on the wrong one.
  • Thank God for having a friend in Tokyo who was willing to help me out with my predicament (Thanks so much! So sorry I had you guys wait at Shinjuku station >< At least I sorta know what I'm doing now)
  • Oh let me add: when I went to a different part of Shinjuku station to wait for my friend I was greeted with a surprise. A bunch of people hustling and bustling around the station! I've never seen so much people! I was kinda scared because of the amount of people.
Day 2   
  • Went to Yubinkyoku (post office) with friend to try withdrawing money. Didn't work.
  • Remembered that it wasn't the next day in America yet (had to wait till it was 4).

  • Went to Akihabara
    • Saw the Gundam Cafe! Didn't go inside, though. I did take a picture with the small gundam statue right outside the door. I was about the same height as it lol
    • Went into various interesting stores
    • Saw lots of UFO Catcher games. Most prizes were anime related (of course)
    • Ate Ramen for the first time! It was the "cheap and crappy" type, but it was still delicious! 
      • The restaurant was livelier than I thought. Workes greeted you when you enter and when you leave, at the same time! I constantly kept hearing them, but it was an interesting experience.
    •  Saw the Table Flipping game!! haha I should've tried it ><
    • Saw lots of UFO Catcher games where you can win Nyanko-Sensei related stuff
    • I learned how those games work. The more money you spend the better chance you have.    
    •  Went into a shop that sold a lot of figurines (I forgot what it was called). I really wanted to get a Zoid since I loved building those when I was a kid. Didn't have much money, though...
  • When we went back to the train station we got swindled by some dude. We were trying to figure how to get where we needed to go and a Japanese dude came up to us and wanted to help (probably cause we're foreigners). After paying for my ticket he took 200 yen as a "courtesy fee." My friend managed to get him to at least 100 yen back. (Note: do not accept help from a Japanese person who knows English.)
  • Went to meet friend's girlfriend at another part of Tokyo (forgot the name...)
  • Went to Burger King. Dang are the drink sizes small! They weren't kidding... Their small was smaller than an iPhone!!!
  • Went to Yubinkyoku to try withdrawing money again. AND IT WORKED!!!! We were cheering hahaha that's how happy we were lol
  • Went to friend's girlfriend's work meeting. Thought it was going to be awkward, but it wasn't. Also got to try some tasty tea!
Sukiyaki/Shabu Shabu
  • Went to Shinjuku to eat all-you-can-eat Sukiyaki/Shabu Shabu!!! OMG IT WAS HEAVENLY DELICIOUS. It was my first time having it and man was it a great experience. If I ever try those in America it probably wouldn't be the same. You just can't beat authentic food from the source.
  • OMG THE SHABU SHABU/SUKIYAKI WAS SO GOOD. If only I didn't get full... hahaha seriously it was delicious. Maybe I'm overreacting. Idc it was great!
  • Went to Hotel (now that I have money).
    • Dude, this hotel is so legit. Yeah it cost about $80, but it's well worth the money
    • Bathrooms come with their own toothbrush and razor (no toothpaste or shaving cream, though. Good thing I brought toothpaste)
    • It also comes with shampoo and soap
    • Oh and a hair blower, too.
    • The mirror does this cool thing where one section of the mirror above the sink doesn't fog out when you take a hot shower. Dunno if this happens somewhere else, but I thought it was pretty neat.
    • There's a tv! I'm watching The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in Japanese as I type this blog.
    • There's also a water boiler with two cups and two bags of tea (green and roasted)
    • Air conditioning of course
    • The room's pretty small, though, but that's to be expected in Japan. 
Overall
  • It's so hot and humid!!!!!! Though, it's like that back home, but I don't go outside often at home.
  • Thought it was going to be cooler at night, but dang I was wrong! It wasn't hot just super humid.
  • Trash cans are so hard to find!
  • Moist toilettes are amazing for this weather.
  • Roads are tiny. 
  • I give props for those who drive and don't run over people. Like seriously.
  • Going around Tokyo by yourself for the first time without much research is a BAD idea.          
  • The train system is pretty interesting.
  • I spent so much money on the trains alone... considering it was basically our main means of transportation.
  • Not used to the currency here. 100 and 500 yen come in coins (100 yen is $1-2 and 500 is about $6-7). Being from America I always saw coins as cheap change. Every time I use a 100 yen coin I don't realize I just spent a little over $1 (it adds up...)   
  • JAPANESE TOILETS
  • So much walking! I feel like my feet are about to fall off.. 
First two days of Tokyo had a lot of ups and downs. At first I hated being in Tokyo, but after today I've become fond of it. I'm sad to leave Tokyo when I go to Tsuru (in Yamanashi prefecture. It's a rural town). There won't be much to do in Tsuru like Tokyo, but at least I will improve my Japanese (and save money not using the trains all the time). I'm excited about going to Tsuru, though! Just going to miss Tokyo, too. Overall my time in Japan was pretty awesome.       

2 comments:

  1. ハハハ
    楽しいそう。私はもう一度行きたい~
    がんばってね。(^_^)
    Also, I'll be following your blog, so make sure you update often, ne? lol
    -クリスティーン・カークハム

    P.S. You totally need to bring back a souvie for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. クリスティーンちゃん!
      ハハハ、分かったよ!
      Thanks for following :D

      Delete